Have an account?

25 February 2007

The Sea is Not Mine



It was a suprisingly good night. I think my arm will fall off on it's own if I move it at all. My head hurts so very badly b/c of the speaker volume my brain is likely to implode. But the first opening band was a one-woman hurricane of deranged goodness. The second band could die in a fire. It was a high school concert where everyone was too stupified by the bad to boo them offstage. Midlake was amazing. Good sound, good songs, good everything. Five normal looking guys, pervaded by the Denton standard for beards and longish hair. They played almost all of the songs off their main album, a few old ones, a yet-to-be-released one. For the encore, instead of one famous song they played another two that normally might not be show type. A little slower then expected but it rounded everything out well.

Granada is a much better venue than expected. You can easily see the style set up as the original Studio Movie Grill with the tired sections. Where normally food would be placed the ledges were sturdy enough to sit on (which is good since I get nauseous if I stand in place for long). Three well advertised bars that pour heavy, cleaner than most bathrooms. I was impressed, since I'm used to Trees and Gypsy Tea Room. Since they are no longer around, this will do.

And the most amazing part is that this band has been out touring for a while and when coming back to hometown area they managed to pull in over 500 people. Not bad for an indie band that no one has mostly heard of. Sorry the photo is blurry. They all ended that way. But since I took pics when no photography was allowed at all, I won't complain.

0 comments: