Have an account?

23 February 2007

Humanity

So this afternoon I drove around running errands. I stopped at one point at the Farmer's Branch cemetery I've been meaning to visit for as long time. I have no ties but have passed it frequently enough to wish to visit. Between studying archaeology for so long and my mother the genealogist I really find cemeteries peaceful. Maybe I can only really handle people once they are no longer living.

Either way, this was the most interesting headstone. Pure white marble, it has had over a century to stand. The owner was 6 year old Clara Jewel born in 1885, died in 1892. Somehow it will never cease to amaze me how people lived completely different lives so close to my own and yet so long ago. That someone had planted tiger lilies around the grave to live with her remembrance is beyond stunning.

It was also nice to have camera in hand again. It has been too long and I have complained too often to hold out any longer.

2 comments:

Beckers said...

I am slightly disturbed by the fact that this picture appears to be of a statue, and that statue seems to be missing a head. Was the child buried here beheaded? You're creeping me out, dude. For the love, post something happy. ;)

Astatine said...

so i need to show a picture of the top of the statue that over a hundred years decayed enough for the head to fall off? the kid was 6, doubtful on the beheading.

and it was a rather good day for me. so it was thus happy.