Have an account?

08 November 2009

The 15 Most Toxic Places in the World

Citarum River, Indonesia
The Citarum has been called the world's most polluted river. Around five million people live in the river's basin, and most of them rely on its flow for their water supply.
See a river here? I don't. It's sad to see things like this. This isn't just a simple matter of cleaning it up, but a mind-shift that would need to take place along with the money to fix some of these issues.

Rondônia, Brazil is on the list mostly for destruction due to cattle raising. Which is just one place out of the 30% of Earth's land mass used for cattle production. And it is sad how few people realize this. Friday I wore my nifty 'Eat Less Meat' shirt to work from We Add Up and had to explain to almost everyone who saw it the implications of eating a lot of beef. Sure, I'm not a full vegetarian and enjoy the occasional burger or chicken fajitas so I don't wanna sound preachy, but it is depressing to see the results of a meat-heavy diet plastered on your computer. I'm lucky I'm not living it instead.

0 comments: