Have an account?

22 September 2009

Things I Want for Nostalgia

When I was a kid, my sisters and I liked to dress up and put on plays for my parents. Inevitably, my middle sister Ali was the princess, my oldest sister Ja' was both the villain and the prince, and I, being the youngest, was left with all the extra parts. This includes all 7 dwarves at one time, But this is back when the world was magical, wearing tutu's on our heads was acceptable, and there was no better way to ride off into the sunset (or the dining room) than on a broomstick with a horse's head on the front.

Of all the toys we ever had, I'll remember Barbie dolls. Not as some stupid idea that made my anorexic or have unrealistic expectations, but more there was a pretty doll to play with. Ja' and I would spend hours creating stories and plots for these dolls, including ones where their legs would just 'give out' and they were crippled, just for the dolls which we accidentally snapped off the legs and had to use rubberbands to hold together.

But Ali always had the best Barbie dolls. Hers were immaculate, gorgeous. The were to be groomed, not to be played with. It was a rare day when Ali's dolls were undressed from their original outfits, and she would meticulously brush their hair with the tiny brushes. When it came time to actually play with them, she was done and Ja' and I were left to our devices.

And Peaches 'n Cream Barbie was always one of my favorite. I am pretty sure she was originally Ja"s doll, but only b/c I remember the ending of this doll. The bustier shiny top separated from the boring white under-piece, the bottom frayed and tore as we used it on all the dolls. Pretty sure we used the stole around out own necks or around other dolls. I also presume this was Ja"s doll due to age and wear. Ali did not allow me to detroy dolls until she was done with them, and I remember this doll being pretty well destroyed prior to Ali outgrowing dolls.

Either way, out of remembrance, I want one.

0 comments: