Have an account?

27 April 2007

I accomplished none of my goals thus far today

She was young, slightly overweight. Hair dyed/lightened to a dirty blonde with a bad perm, creating permanent waves that look weighed down and over-processed. A checker at Walmart, she was smart enought o be efficient and bright at her job, trained other employees to also do well, knew how to sort products by type instead of mixing the soap with the bread. Either lacking the intelligence or the drive to work elsewhere, she'll most likely continue on at this job and be promoted a few more times before trying her hand at another company or ending up with too many kids and a useless husband. The only words spoken between she and myself or the customer in line before me was the customary greetings dictated by social norms. But then, between telling me my total and giving back my chage, she just looked up at me and told me that I was 'very pretty'. It did not seem like any sort of advance or line, just an opinion from her head she felt the need to share in a way that most people never do.
--
He was an elderly black gentleman with short white hair and goatee. His brown trousers looked crisply pressed, black shoes polished so much they relflected the sun back onto his shins. He wore a brown and white sweater that looked to have been manufactured 30 years ago, a sweater like Cosby would wear back when we would watch his show every night before dinner.
He carried a rolled up canvas bag with indecipherable writing across one side. On his head was a powder blue baseball cap that contrasted the rest of the image quite severly. And he walked along the sidewalk as I sat at the light, and he kept lifting his left arm as if to gesture or show his point as he quite audibly argued with himself. Or perhaps with another person that was just not currently present.
--
He was tall and blonde with dreads mixed into his hair, a large hat on his head. Less rasta/stoner, more the type that normally works at a comic book store. But, with just enough style and cool points he can work at Starbucks instead.
--
She was incredibly bored, holding her clipboard sideways as she leaned against the railing instead of trying to engage in conversations with passer-bys to try to gain research for whater company she worked for.
--
For someone who dislikes people as much as I do, I find myself watching their movements rather intensely. And shut it about Walmart. Find me somewhere else that sells unbuttered popcorn 6 bags for 2 dollars and I'll buy there.

0 comments: