Have an account?

06 July 2008

So Why Am I So Poor?

If you'd like to build a nest egg with your paycheck, it may be time to give up New York and head for Plano, Texas.


It's not often you think about the suburb you live in as being somewhere that evens ranks in the country for anything. Especially once you've lived here long enough (3 years is more than enough) you start to think this is just the expected. Sure I've always complained about the soccer mom's driving their Lexus SUV's to the hoity toity Walmart (that is no better than the Target directly across the street...go three blocks down to Whole Foods for better shopping) and the eight hundred country clubs across from each other. I technically live in the one block of Dallas that really should be Plano yet I keep thinking I am still in Plano due to the exact same environment and my stupidity to move 5 minutes away from my old place. On one side of my apartment there is a Ferrari dealership, across the street is a Hummer and SAAB, across the tollway from me is a Porsche and an Audi. You get to think of this as pretentious land, not somewhere to save money.

But then, I drive a Scion, never finished out that Bachelors in Humanities and like to drink. No wonder I'm poor. Amazing I can even afford an apartment here. Somehow, though, I still ended up in the corporate whoredom that surrounds this place. Hrm.

0 comments: