Have an account?

31 July 2008

I'm Not Even Cool Enough to be Hipster

An artificial appropriation of different styles from different eras, the hipster represents the end of Western civilization – a culture lost in the superficiality of its past and unable to create any new meaning. Not only is it unsustainable, it is suicidal. While previous youth movements have challenged the dysfunction and decadence of their elders, today we have the “hipster” – a youth subculture that mirrors the doomed shallowness of mainstream society.


I love when I have typed out a whole rant and Blogger kills it. Fancy.

So I was ranting about how I agree with a lot this article states due to the nature that indie music brings to a show. However, I disagree about how superficial or unsustainable this subculture is compared to any other subculture that has existed. Look around your office tomorrow and think back to what everyone above the age of 30 was about 5 to 10 years ago or more. Punk? Goth? Hardcore? Hippie? Are those subcultures any more sustainable due to breeding and the influence of Jimi Hendrix or The Clash?

I have already stated before the unfortunate outfits of this group, and the writer brings up the very correct unfortunate dancing. A hipster left alone to dance is like watching an ostrich mate with a spider web. It knows it should flap its wings to fly, but keeps getting sticky webbing on them that makes them flap up in odd directions and then stay suspended until the self-mortification comes to a white dwarf close.

Plus, there is always the 'end times' part of the article that makes this go beyond the fantastic. "The end of Western Civilization" only has been touted for how long now? Sure the axis is slowly turning, but I am pretty sure that being a hipster will bring about neither the end of times for our Amerikan experience, nor be the end-all idea anyone has of what we as an Amerkican culture really are. Until they grow up and unleash "The Animal Collective" and "Arctic Monkeys" on the poor, unsuspecting (hopefully deaf) hordes.

In the meantime, check out Stereogum, The Hype Machine or buy me a subscription of Adbusters for a chance to see me rant about all kinds of things I both agree with and the reason for wanting to burn the magazine to the ground. No, really, BUY ME ADBUSTERS. I have literally, had relationships made and broken on my views of that magazine. And, I get a new tag if I am purchased a new subscription.

And please, discourage leggings, indie beards and terrible white rimmed or slotted sunglasses for all you are worth.

0 comments: